Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lets go surfing now...everybody's learning how (M1)

I don't even know where to start with this one guys...I had the best time in Madrid! The funny part is I only spent half of the time I expected in the actual city. I think it's too long to put in one post so I am going to split it in to parts (M1=Madrid part 1). LETS DO THIS ThiNg!!!

The trip started somewhat tumultuously when my partner in crime thought she didn't need her passport. What was she thinking (oh wait...she wasn't)? I had to call my host family to bring her passport to the airport. They took a taxi at the night rate...lets just say it wasn't good for her. However, we shook that off and boarded the last flight out of Alicante at 11:55p.m. We arrived in Madrid around 1:00p.m. and had to learn how to navigate their metro quickly. I have to say I was a little awestruck by the metro system. I have never seen anything like it and my mood immediately perked up because it was something new to me.

Yup...I have no shame...I did the tourist thing in the metro.
Connie and I...my first sighting of the metro

This bad boy was not easy to handle. There were about 10 different lines in 10 different colors and after begging a map off of a lady (who knew you needed a map for the underground metro?) who laughed at me for being so excited to ride the metro, I was set. I did my directionally savvy dad proud and got us to our hostel stop.
I am sad to inform you that after you ride the metro about 20 times that happy, free kind of feeling wares off. So here is my shout-out to all you newbie metro riders:

Tip #4: When riding the metro for your first few times do not let the creepy, zombie like stares of the citizens stop you from enjoying your moment to the fullest. Jump up and down, try no hands, initiate conversations, take photos, do it all because one day with no warning you become the zombie too.

Enough about public transportation.

The hostel we stayed at was clean and the staff were kind. I have to say, I used to be a kid who loved to get dirty. I could go out to the desert to camp for days on end without a shower but, sadly just like the abrupt end to my fascination with the metro, there was an abrupt end to my fascination with dirt. I am going to place the blame for this one on my dad and grandpa. Those two decided to get a motor-home and once accustomed to the sweet life it is hard to let go. While hostels are a step up from tent camping, they are not nearly as nice as the privacy of a motor home. When you have 8-10 girls sleeping in one room there isn't any privacy. This is when, as Janet Evanovich would say, "you put your big girl panties on." Luckily, right when I was about to give girly me a nice strong kick in the a**, fate intervened. Actually, it was mostly my partner in crime, Connie. Connie, a member of couchsurfers, had sent out requests searching for a free place to stay for the four nights we were in Madrid and, she got an answer when we woke up in the hostel the next day. She replied to the man and we had a place to stay for the next four nights. Whoops, I am getting ahead of myself, so I will leave the description of couchsurfers for a little later and start with Segovia. Segovia, about an hour and a half by train outside of Madrid was like a fairy tale. You will soon see why.

Our Hostel Las Musas..it was on a sketch street but right in the center of Madrid and clean:)

To be continued...



1 comment:

  1. Hey, a little dirt is good. Glad you are having such a good time. Can't wait to hear more about you adventure in Madrid.

    Love,

    Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete