Friday, February 25, 2011

The fairytale...(M2)

For getting to the hostel so late at night Connie and I managed to wake up pretty early at 7:00a.m. to start off our day. We decided to take a day trip to Segovia which is about 2 hours by Renfe outside of Madrid. While eating breakfast at our hostel we met a canadian who decided to join us for the day. Anna was traveling for 6 months by herself. That is brave! We all jumped into the crazyness of the metro and made our way to the train station where we bought our tickets to Segovia.

When we arrived we headed to the information desk (which is fast becoming my best friend in every new city) and oriented ourselves. The thing about taking the train is that some of the stations are a little farther out of downtown but, we started walking toward the city center and finally came upon this gorgeous sight...

Little me and the big old aqueduct

It is really hard to describe what I felt when I saw it but, I had to stop and breathe it all in. Here are some fun facts about the aqueduct...

* constructed in 1st century AD, over 2000 yrs old
*875 yards long, 98.5 ft high
*built from mortarless granite has stood firm all these years with no cement or mortar
*still functions!

After we saw the aqueduct we headed further into Segovia and stumbled upon this cathedral. I didn't know this was going to be here before we came so it was a wonderful surprise. Work started by the order of Charles V began in 1525 and it took over 200 years to complete. You can see why...



Cabildo Cathedral de Segovia *fun fact: Isabella I was proclaimed queen of castile in this spot

I have to admit that the main reason I wanted to go to Segovia was for the castle. I know, I know... I did say I wanted to shoot myself if I saw anymore castles but, this is different. This castle is the one that girls dream of being whisked away to when they are little. This castle was home to kings and queens and, this is the castle that was the model for the original Disneyland castle. The happiest place on earth has a castle modeled after the one I visited. Wow. Behold the Alcázar...

Finally, found the castle I was dreaming of:) notice the birds above I captured for dramatic affect

Not only was the castle amazing on the outside it was fantastic on the inside. The ceilings were all intricately decorated and so were the windows. The stain glass was beautiful. Here is one of the ceilings...

I know I look kinda creepy but take a look at that ceiling
We ate our lunch on the tower of the castle which was 141 steps to the top. I have it pretty much down to a science now. I go to the grocery store and buy fruit, bread, salami, and cheese (usually spliting with someone) and then I spend 2 euros or less and, get to eat at some of the most beautiful places in the world.

Me, Connie, and Anna on top of the world!

We later had a café con leche in a little shop and that is when Connie found out that we had someone to stay with for the next four nights. This was great because the hostel cost us 12 euros the night before and for four more nights it would have cost us more especially since they charge more on the weekend. We made it back on the train to Madrid and that is when we met the man we would be staying with for the next four nights...

7 comments:

  1. the suspense is killing me! I want to hear about your surfing! p.s. you are crazy lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are crazy why did you not tell me you were getting off facebook...I thought something bad had happened haha but surfing is coming up next it just takes forever to write these things and I am getting behind...you should know:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i definitely know how hard it is to keep up with them. lol im still writing mine...
    and dont worry, ill be back on FB soon. You better have some new pics up for me to enjoy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why Disneyland used the castle Asa model.....

    What a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummmm one of us was misinformed at some point because I thought I saw the Disneyland castle when I was in Germany!!! People said Neuschwanstein is what disneyland was modeled after and I think my dream is being shattered as I type this!!!

    Sarah I know what you mean with the salami, Pam and I did that and it was awesome.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohh noo breeze don't worry I am sure they had more than one model...Walt was a smart guy and he would never have looked at just one castle. The only alternative is that someone lied to us (in my case a spain travel book) and I am not willing for either of our dreams to be shattered so we are going to go with...they had more than one model for the happiest place on Earth's castle:)

    Love you too!

    ReplyDelete